Monday 20 June 2011

Fake dog



I had some great feedback about owning a dog on my Facebook page, mostly from friends who are dog owners. It has definitely put me off: Everything from the cost of replacing damaged furniture to hiring dog walkers and finding time to take it to the vet, through to some of the more colourful medical conditions they get (swollen anal glands, anyone?)

I bought Marlo a life-size Dalmation for her birthday and I have to say it's pretty convincing. A neighbour saw me arrive home with it on the back of my bike a couple of months ago, but even she did a double take from her garden when she saw it propped up against the window. I'm hoping that potential burglars will see it when they poke their faces over the fence and think it's real. Regardless, the neighbours on the other side are chipping in to buy a security gate for our communal alleyway this summer so no-one will be able to get to our garden gate once that goes in.

But it's not all gloom and doom and dwelling on burglars - I found a wall mounted bottle opener at Oliver Bonas for £8.50 and it's been useful to have in the garden when there are beers to be drunk.

2 comments:

Ainsley said...

brilliant - looking forward to seeing the one of me in the polka-dots sitting by the dog... got the first film of lomo's from last weekend developed, some super cute pics of Gwen x

Juliab said...

He really does look life like! Love the idea of a bottle opener on the fence post. Will bear it in mind if we ever get around to finishing our outdoor space - the weather being rubbish doesn't help!